[Radioig] Pre-cooked joins

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 23:14:44 CEST 2024

I did participate in the meeting but (due to a major s/w release last week)
have
not had time to follow up (check the notes or post some of my thoughts in
more
detail). So I'll clarify what I meant that was quoted above and add some
others
to the mix.

>     + PD: if your database is natively  standards compliant the
>     join approach is more normalized and makes sense.
I think what I meant here is that if someone was creating their database
from
scratch and chose to create an ObsCore table, then having a separate table
for
extensions and expecting to join them makes sense and is the more
normalised
approach. So "natively standards compliant" I think was trying to capture
that
one created an ObsCore table and populated it rather than created a "view"
in some
fashion (combination of database view and/or TAP and SIA code to manipulate
or
generate the query).

My understanding is that many data centres would implement ObsCore as a view
on existing underlying table(s). In the case of CADC (and others) where we
use
the CAOM data model, ObsCore is a well defined view that joins two tables
(because
CAOM is more normalised than ObsCore). For anyone who implements
ObsCore as a view on another model, extension views may well be views on
the same
tables and "ObsCore natural join ObsRadio" could be quite complex
underneath.In this
kind of situation, the complete "pre-cooked" views and no joins is more
direct and simple,
but I completely agree that the concept doesn't scale to N extensions and
their
combinations.

Just for completeness, the approach that we take with CAOM to make it
suitable for
describing all kinds of data is to have a single model that covers all
scenarios. We try
to minimise the "sparseness" by emphasizing the C(ommon) when designing the
model
and when it evolves (add new fields) to describe something new. Emphasizing
"common"
means finding ways to satisfy the broadest range of use cases with the
minimum number
of sufficiently generic concepts. The analogy here would be to try to add
things directly to
ObsCore instead of having extensions. CAOM v1 had a smaller "core" and
"archive specific
metadata" (extensions) and that turned out to be a bad idea. Of course, a
large and potentially
sparse model (set of tables) means users have to make good use of the
"select list" (not just
"select * from") and it also helps a lot to use "is not null" effectively
in queries. There are ways
to make both of these easier (TBD).

--
Patrick Dowler