[Radioig] Obscore extension for radio: review, implementation point (3)

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Wed Dec 13 15:28:39 CET 2023

Hi everyone,

Thanks Markus for your careful reading and suggestions.
I would like some clarification about your point #(3) :

Do you mean you do not want to use utypes for the extension table :
'ivoa.obs_radio'
or also for 'ivoa.obscore'.

That sounds strange to me to omit utypes in the table for radio ( or
time) extension .
The quantities that are stored in the columns need to belong to some
more general schema carrying the context.
This should be understandable by humans and connect to existing concepts
detailed in the data models.

If we would omit them in the table extension, then the role of the
columns (or fields) cannot be compared to the one in ivoa.obscore .

The pecularity in Obscore DM  is that this data model relies on some
ideas and objects defined in Characterisation data model for the
physical properties of a data set.
But it does not re-use the full structure of those objects, only the
main properties that help for data discovery.

I think the relationship between a column and a data model element is
useful for clarification and consistence checking .
The Obscore authors did not have in mind we would use MIVOT in ObsCore
to carry this information in the tables, and further in the TAP response .

Up to now the utype is a light-weight annotation that is useful enough,
and used in simple services and ObsTAP.
It is not sure yet wether we would gain much in applying MIVOT , but it
may be worth to exercise.

Best ,
Mireille

Le 11/12/2023 à 13:46, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> (3) As usual, I have utype quibbles; in particular, it looks funny if
> there suddenly are underscore-separated words in there
> ("Provenance.Observation.tracking_mode") where I think all other utypes
> (including some here) are CamelCase.
>
> Also as usual, I don't think the column utypes here have any
> discernable function -- can't we just drop them altogether?
> I'd be willing to bet that*nothing*  negative happens if we do.
> (yeah, we're doing something with the*table*  utype, so that's
> different)

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
Centre de données CDS		Images, Laboratoire ICube &
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34