[Radioig] Comments on ObsCore extension and Pulsar/FRB draft documents

BONNAREL FRANCOIS francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Jan 3 20:47:15 CET 2023

Dear Alessandra,Vincenzo and Marco,
Dear members of the Radio IG;

First of all I would like to wish you all in the group an happy new year
, the best things we can imagine for our personal and professional
lives  and great successes and achievements  for our group;

Le 17/11/2022 à 18:57, Alessandra Zanichelli a écrit :

> Dear all,
> we would like to share with the Radio Interest Group some
> considerations triggered by our work on single dish/pulsar data and
> related to the two draft documents: IVOA Obscore Extension for Radio
> data Version 1.0 (IVOA Note 2022-10-14)

i realize that this version although announced at this date and briefly
presented during the interop can be hardly found on github because it's
related to a Radio branch which has not been merged with the main branch
yet.

Actually this was an attempt to extend the previous
ObsCoreExtensionForvisibilityData
(https://github.com/ivoa/ObsCoreExtensionForVisibilityData) into a more
general ObsCoreExtensionForRadioData)

We needed some more feedback to merge in the main branch. You can find
the extended version attached with this email. This is the version which
Alessandra, Vincenzo and Marco are commenting.

> and Pulsar and FRB Radio Data Discovery and Access Version 1.0 (IVOA
> Note 2022-09-22).
> We hope these considerations may be useful to trigger some discussion
> before moving them to issues on the github version of the documents.

Thanks for that. I answered and commented all the points you addressed
in the google document only today !!!

To list the points which are discussed;

- Need for new dataproduct_types for single dish data or need for new
parameters to describe single dish observations

- Need for a spectral "support" for very wide band radio data as a
testbed case for emoc.

- definitions of s_fov and s_resolution in the wide spectral band radio
case ; min, max, and mid values.

> We thought that - at this preliminary stage - a Google document may be
> more efficient to share ideas and comments in a collaborative manner,
> this is the link:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CQZytl5B2n5vojn7bcVakLSzAig_ymGgIdwy74ssFXo/edit?usp=sharing
>

> Please feel free to suggest and comment as you like.

i think most of these things can also be transformed in github issues; i
think I can transfer that tomorrow; but if people prefer google docs
please go on there.

Cheers

François