[Ops] Note draft: "Operational Identification"

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Mar 8 13:18:17 CET 2021

Dear Ops,

I have added a new wiki page for this topic:

   https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/SoftID

As well as gathering related links etc beyond the Note itself,
this contains a (currently rather short) list of known values of
the User-Agent and Server HTTP headers used by client and server
VO software components.  It would be great if people could add
entries to this list for client/server software they know about,
so we can get an idea of what does or doesn't observe the
recommendataions in the SoftID draft Note.

Thanks

Mark

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> Dear Ops IG,
>
> A while ago Mark Taylor created the wiki page
> https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/UserAgentUsage on how to
> use HTTP Server and User-Agent headers in the VO, and when last I had
> wished these things to be more widely adopted, I managed to talk Mark
> into letting me convert it into a proper IVOA note.  I personally
> would hope that will make the recommendations a bit more visible and
> hence implemented.
>
> The current result is at https://github.com/msdemlei/softid (until it
> perhaps finds a place below ivoa-std).  A pre-rendered copy is
> available (temporarily) at http://docs.g-vo.org/softid.pdf.
>
> I would be grateful if people here could have a look at it before we
> submit it as a note -- any sort of feedback would be most
> appreciated, almost as much as takeup...
>
> Thanks,
>
>           Markus

Mark Taylor  Astronomical Programmer  Physics, Bristol University, UK
m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk          http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/