[Ops] Note draft: "Operational Identification"

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Mar 1 12:38:44 CET 2021

Dear Ops IG,

The idea of encouraging VO customers to use a sufficiently
discriminating User-Agent is an excellent initiative. And at CDS, we are
particularly in favour of such a evolution. Many thanks for all people
involve in this effort,

Concerning the "pre-note" itself, it seems very clear to me.

I have noted a technical point that I raise. The document mentions three
types of op-purpose: validate, monitor, harvest.I think the first two
will be not so easy to differentiate. In practice, they are usually the
same tools that perform both functions, and it is unlikely that
developers will modify the User-agent to suit the use that the user will
be made of it. Maybe keep only one term: "check" ? Also, the notion of
"harvest" may be too "VO registry" oriented and very limited in
practice. I'm afraid it won't be used for other inter-center data
synchronization operations. It would probably be interesting to enlarge
its usage by giving some other examples for the use of this
"op-purpose": Synchronizing data from one server to another server =>
notably Hipsgen MIRROR could use this term, or Simbad's recurring global
queries for populating partner DBs. I was also wondering about the
possibility of adding a term such as "proxy" to list clients acting only
as relays - usually to bypass a technical access restriction (ie:
javascript)

Concerning the identification of servers (section 3), I was wondering
about the ease/difficulty of its application. Very concretely, it would
imply that each data provider in the IVOA would have to modify their
servers in order to generate the appropriate header. In the case of the
CDS, some HTTP servers have multiple functions and this will require
intervention on each component (CGI level, library level, tomcat level,
etc.). A probably delicate operation to plan for the long term -
probably following the upgrades of these different components.

This is why I think that we should stay at the level of suggestion as
mentioned in the document, and not be tempted to go towards a strict
recommendation that might in practice be very constraining for some IVOA
members.

Finally, I draw attention to the fact that modifying existing
User-agents will necessarily require an adjustment of the tools
(filters/scripts/...) used by the different centers to perform their
statistics. In the case of the CDS (server side), such a unilateral
modification will cause a lack of measurements, the time to identify the
modifications and to adapt the processing tools. Symmetrically, I
suppose that the modification of the User-agents used by our clients and
CDS libraries could not be done without warning the different known
actors. I suggest that in the note, modalities to warn the different
actors should be indicated: planned date for the modification, old
User-agent and new User-agent. Possibly by using IVOA mailing list, or a
dedicated page in the IVOA twiki, or other adapted channels.

Cheers
Pierre