[Ops] UserAgentUsage

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Tue Dec 4 18:02:41 CET 2018

Hi Mark,

This looks fine to me generally, but I'm a little concerned that if it turns out to be useful then
we may have made it difficult to expand the kinds of additional information that are included in the
comment.  Right now the only additional information we are considering is the URL at which the
validation results may
be seen.  That's probably all we'll need, but it seems to me that we'd leave it a little more open
if we were to include a standard prefix so that if we
eventually want to provide something else we can just use a different prefix.  E.g., you give the
example

Here the ivoa- lets us know we've got some IVOA ops info here.  The validator gives us the specific usage, and the
http://validators.org/results is where validator results are given.  I'd like to see that last a little more explicit as

where we've agreed that resultURL (or some other string) defines what the token i.  Next year if
this turns out to be popular we could add some
other (presumably optional) keyword to give some other information.  Even now, this allows the
provider to include information they think is important
that isn't the results URL.

Just to give an example, maybe the querier wants to indicate the standard[s] being validated, so
they'd put

or instead of a URL for the results, an Email to contact with questions

What do you think?

      Tom