[Ops] VO Operations Availability Summary - September 1-7

Tom McGlynn (NASA/GSFC Code 660.1) tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Tue Sep 8 22:14:21 CEST 2015

Dear Ops Group,

Over the next few weeks I'm planning ot experiment with giving a weekly
summary report of the operational status  of VO services. My goal is to
provide a stating point for discussion of VO services issues generally
so feel free to respond with additional comments or questions.
Initially I'm planning to use the NAVO monitoring service at:
    http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/vo/monitor/stats.html
but I'd like to analyze results from other sites as appropriate. [Note
that the HEASARC service monitors sites hourly, but only checks a few
representative services at each site.]  I'll be looking just at
primarily the uptime status of sites, not the validation results for all
services.  Please feel feel to respond with additional information about
service issues that you may have noticed.  Michael Preciado looks at
these services on a daily basis so I've included his comments as well.
Again, please feel free to comment on the issues noted here -- e.g.,
correcting my understanding of an issue, on any VO service concerns that
you note and on the format or utility of this report.

     Regards,
     Tom McGlynn

I ran the NAVO tool for the periods from Jan 1, 2015 - Aug 31, 2015 to
get baseline numbers and then from Sept 1-7 , 2015 to get
numbers for this report.  For each site we give the fractions of tests
passed in the past week and the fraction in the base line service.
Sites that showed significant issues (>5% drop in availability) include:

    ASDC: (90.9% tests passed for past week versus 98.6% for the
baseline period)
       A TAP server went down but has been fixed.

    Arecibo-Cornell (0 % last week/91.1% baseline):
      This service is not longer planning to support cone search
requests but the update to the registry entry has not been completed.

    Astronet (53.9/84.6):  Some kind of internal database issue was
causing some services to fail but this has been resolved.

    Harvard ADS (82.4/97.1): The service was down for a period of
several hours but came back up with any intervention.

    SDSS (59.8/92.1): An issue remains, the personnel needed for the fix
will be available shortly.

    USNO (76.9/84.0): An internal problem was resolved.

Two sites that earlier in the year had some difficulties had excellent
weeks with 100% uptime :

     BSDC (100/66.5)
    China-VO (100/87.9)