[Media] IVOA "digital flyer" project templates review (for IAU)

Mark Allen mark.allen at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Jun 28 02:58:49 CEST 2018

Dear Jamie and the Media Group,

The improved slides look great!!

It was not my intention to pose an urgent task to the media group — you have already provided an enormous help for the materials for the IAU with the flyer template and the small handout design, and I do realise that the media group has a current workload associated with the newsletter. The extra help is of course very welcome, and the result shown by Jamie is already perfect. Let’s go with that.

To give some explanation - getting things ready for the IAU is somewhat of a moving target, partly because some information about the booth is only arriving now. In particular the size of the area where we can make flyers available, and also a “green conference” request to not have large amounts of printed material. This lead me to change the approach to having the main flyer printed, but other member project information in the form of a virtual flyer ppt slide show.

I will make a formal request on Tuesday to the exec for member projects to contribute content for the slides using the template.

best regards,
Mark

> On 27 Jun 2018, at 21:35, Jamie Anne Budynkiewicz <jbudynkiewicz at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear Media Group,
>
> **action summary:  I'm looking for a review of the attached project template slides to show in a movie loop at IAU by 5:00pm EDT (17:00 UTC) tomorrow, June 28. Apologies for asking for such a quick response time!
>
> Details:
>
> There will be a monitor showing "digital flyers" (presentation slides) of VO projects at the IAU. Mark Allen came up with a template based off the A4 handouts template we developed at Interop (see https://trello.com/c/sviNwuZA/23-make-handout-for-conferences <https://trello.com/c/sviNwuZA/23-make-handout-for-conferences>).  The idea is for each IVOA organization to come up with a set of slides highlighting their VO projects, so there will be a sort of "header slide", followed by "detail slides", to present on a monitor.
>
> I made a couple tweaks to his template (mostly adding a slight shadow on the white text on the image background so the text is more easily read), as well as providing other example templates that don't use a background image.  My edits are attached.
> For the IAU, I believe we're going with the image background (M33 Chandra-HST composite image) so that it mimics the printed IVOA handouts. This is used on slides 1, 2, and 3.
> The next two sets of slides (4, 5, and 6;  7, 8, and 9) are examples using solid colors from the Corporate Design Manual, Section 2.2 (http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/MediaGroup/CD_Manual-20180626.docx <http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/MediaGroup/CD_Manual-20180626.docx>;  the document is **still in draft mode**, but colors have been defined).
>
> What do you think of this digital flyer template?
>
> Some specific questions I have:
> Is the shadowed text on the bottom OK?
> The white text on the bottom -- "International Virtual Observatory Alliance" and the image credits -- is hard to read without adding a shadow to the letters or moving the background image around.  Kai had mentioned not to use shadow-effect on text at Interop, but I was having a tough time keeping the image where it was and moving the text around all the bright white spots.  I like where the image is because the bright colors pop-through and make the slide eye-catching, so I went ahead an added shadow text anyhow.
>
> Of the first 3 slides (image background), which header-details slide pairing do you like most:  1 and 2,  or 1 and 3?  Or do we let people use a mixture of slides 2 and 3?
> I personally like slides 1 and 2 because they mimic the IVOA printed handouts and matches the logo colors better.
>
> Do the solid color slides (slides 4-9) look fine as example slides for other projects?
> [...]

Mark Allen
mark.allen at astro.unistra.fr