[Media] IVOA "digital flyer" project templates review (for IAU)

Jamie Anne Budynkiewicz jbudynkiewicz at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 27 21:35:40 CEST 2018

Dear Media Group,

***action summary*:  I'm looking for a review of the attached project
template slides to show in a movie loop at IAU by *5:00pm EDT (17:00 UTC)
tomorrow, June 28*. Apologies for asking for such a quick response time!

*Details:*

There will be a monitor showing "digital flyers" (presentation slides) of
VO projects at the IAU. Mark Allen came up with a template based off the A4
handouts template we developed at Interop (see
https://trello.com/c/sviNwuZA/23-make-handout-for-conferences).  The idea
is for each IVOA organization to come up with a set of slides highlighting
their VO projects, so there will be a sort of "header slide", followed by
"detail slides", to present on a monitor.

I made a couple tweaks to his template (mostly adding a slight shadow on
the white text on the image background so the text is more easily read), as
well as providing other example templates that don't use a background
image.  My edits are attached.

   - For the IAU, I believe we're going with the image background (M33
   Chandra-HST composite image) so that it mimics the printed IVOA handouts.
   This is used on slides 1, 2, and 3.
   - The next two sets of slides (4, 5, and 6;  7, 8, and 9) are examples
   using solid colors from the Corporate Design Manual, Section 2.2 (
   http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/MediaGroup/CD_Manual-20180626.docx;  the
   document is **still in draft mode**, but colors have been defined).

What do you think of this digital flyer template?

Some specific questions I have:

   1. Is the shadowed text on the bottom OK?
   The white text on the bottom -- "International Virtual Observatory
   Alliance" and the image credits -- is hard to read without adding a shadow
   to the letters or moving the background image around.  Kai had mentioned
   not to use shadow-effect on text at Interop, but I was having a tough time
   keeping the image where it was and moving the text around all the bright
   white spots.  I like where the image is because the bright colors
   pop-through and make the slide eye-catching, so I went ahead an added
   shadow text anyhow.

   2. Of the first 3 slides (image background), which header-details slide
   pairing do you like most:  1 and 2,  or 1 and 3?  Or do we let people use a
   mixture of slides 2 and 3?
   I personally like slides 1 and 2 because they mimic the IVOA printed
   handouts and matches the logo colors better.

   3. Do the solid color slides (slides 4-9) look fine as example slides
   for other projects?

Sorry this is so last minute, but Mark's going on vacation for a month at
the end of next week, and would so I was hoping we could review these
documents by ***5:00 (17:00 UTC) PM EST tomorrow, June 28** *

Many thanks,
Jamie
--
Jamie A. Budynkiewicz