[Media] IVOA website: front page example

Budynkiewicz, Jamie Anne jbudynkiewicz at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri May 11 19:07:21 CEST 2018

Dear Media Group and CSP,

As an action from yesterday's telecon,  here is a screenshot of the *draft*
front page I was working on. It's mostly just the information we talked
about from our meeting in January -- I didn't work out colors / fonts at
all.  But I used the wireframe we made on this Google doc as a reference
for the front page layout:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1fz49i6c_DaoyoZ81RPiDaHWGHfnb2UbW_9nOmIJdd2A/edit#slide=id.g327bd6a3f5_0_0

  - The first image bar shows technical news (new standards, new archive
releases, upcoming abstract/meeting deadlines, etc).  The idea was to make
it into small boxes, showing a couple announcements at a time.
  - The second, larger image block is a slider of the latest science news
that the more general scientist may be interested in.  This is a dynamic
slider made from wordpress posts.  We could also make our own news slider
from an RSS feed.
  - The bottom part is the "information portal" with the important /
popular links, sending visitors to the right places.

I made the pages with a local Wordpress install on my laptop since the free
test Wordpress blog we made in Santiago doesn't allow one to install
plugins or edit the CSS / PHP files. However, this may not have been the
best way to go, as I'm having trouble exporting this site to HTML to send
to you all...  I'll work on getting the site exported, but I'll also try
working on the test site to see if we can get news sliders on it to show at
the Interop.

**For those who have experience in web development, please speak up! I'd
like to get the front page in a format we can send to people to view
locally on their computers, or on a test site (e.g., the free Wordpress
blog).

In summary, here's what I'm looking for:

1.  Does the layout match the expectations laid out at our last meeting?
Is there any content missing you think should be there?
     - Missing currently:  menu bar, header image, footer navigation, a
short IVOA description?
     - Any layout / color ideas?

2.  People to help work on getting a working front page for the Interop
meeting
     -  e.g., self-contained site that we can package and send around,
test Wordpress site, any other ideas?

3.  Comments / questions / concerns?

I'll be on the #media Slack channel if anyone wants to have a more
interactive conversation, too.  https://ivoa.slack.com/messages/media

Lastly, apologies for procrastinating the website revamp organization.  I
appreciate everyone's inputs from meetings and emails, and I'm happy we're
getting back to business for the Interop. Looking forward to seeing you all
in person soon!

Thanks and warm regards,
Jamie

--