[kdd] Joint Workshop & Summer School on Astrostatistics and Data Mining of Large Astronomical Databases

Luis Manuel Sarro Baro lsb at dia.uned.es
Sun Feb 20 23:46:38 PST 2011

Dear all,

sorry for the very late notice. I thought I had posted this
announcement in the list long ago. Only now I realise I didn't.

We would be very grateful if you could give this workshop (and school)
publicity within your communities.

Best regards and thank you very much,

Luis Sarro

REMINDER

Joint Workshop & Summer School on Astrostatistics and Data Mining of
Large Astronomical Databases

Deadline for registration and abstract submission: February 28th.

Important news:

1. The proceedings of the workshop (and school lecture notes) will be
published by the Springer Publishing Co Series on Astrostatistics.
2.- A preliminary draft of the program has been included in the web
pages with keynote talks and speakers (also included below).

Web page:  http://www.iwinac.uned.es/Astrostatistics/

Dates: May 30th - June 4th

Location: La Palma island, Spain

First announcement
------------------

Joint Workshop & Summer School on Astrostatistics and Data Mining of
Large Astronomical Databases

La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain May 30th - June 3rd 2011
http://www.iwinac.uned.es/Astrostatistics/

The ESF-funded Gaia Research for European Astronomy Training (GREAT)
network is organising a joint workshop and summer school with the aim
of bringing together young scientists and astronomers in order to
prepare for the challenges posed by the analysis of petabyte size (and
beyond) astronomical databases.

The workshop and the summer school take place in parallel with some
common sessions where the school students can join the workshop
program in order to get an idea of the latest research in the field.

Further details on the programme and important dates will be
circulated in a second announcement by the end of December.

Workshop Topics:
----------------

     * Advanced statistical techniques for the processing of
astronomical data: time series, images, low number statistics for high
energy photons, heteroskedastic data, non-detections...
     * Challenges in the data mining of astronomical databases:
           o the class imbalance in training sets or how to define priors
           o robust preprocessing for supervised/unsupervised
classification
           o robust inference with heterogeneous datasets, how to
combine observations, models, priors, etc in a training/test set
           o error propagation
     * The challenge of petabyte size databases: scalability, parallel
computing, accuracy. Geometric data organization, sky indexing for
efficient data retrieval, intelligent access to petabyte size databases
     * Knowledge Discovery in astronomical archives: outlier
detection, new object types, parametric inference, model fitting and
model selection, etc.
     * Combining the classical domain knowledge approach with machine
learning techniques.
     * Global approaches for global datasets. The Galaxy zoo and the
Universe zoo.
     * The Virtual Observatories, Data Mining and Astrostatistics:
software, standards, protocols...

List of invited speakers (and summer school lecturers)

     * David Hogg
     * Suzanne Aigrain
     * Matthew Graham
     * Robert Lupton
     * Giuseppe Longo

Scientific Organising Committe
------------------------------

     * Luis M. Sarro (UNED, Spain)
     * Coryn Bailer-Jones (Max Planck Institute for Astronomy, Germany)
     * Laurent Eyer (Astronomical Observatory of the Geneva
University, Switzerland )
     * Joris De Ridder (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium)
     * William O'Mullane(European Space Astronomy Centre - ESAC)

(Tentative) list of topics for discussion

     * Building training sets and models for astronomy.
     * Pan-European initiatives in Data Mining and Astrostatistics.
     * Software for data mining and astrostatistics.
     * The Gaia challenge: new statistical techniques needed for the
full exploitation of the Gaia catalogue.

Summer School
-------------

Lecturers:

     * David Hogg
     * Suzanne Aigrain
     * Matthew Graham
     * Robert Lupton
     * Giuseppe Longo

Topics:

Classical statistics: basic concepts, inference, hypothesis testing,
confidence intervals...

Bayesian statistics: Bayes' theorem, the problem of the prior
definition, computing the evidence, model selection, sampling
techniques...

Statistical techniques for image analysis (the source detection
problem, source modelling, wavelet analysis, image combination...)

Advanced statistical techniques for time series analysis.

Technical challenges of data mining in large scale databases,
scalability issues, parallel computing, etc.

Supervised Classification/Regression: feature selection,
classification models, model evaluation.

Unsupervised classification: alternative methodologies, the problem of
feature selection for clustering, evaluation.

--

Luis Manuel Sarro Baro
Dpt. Inteligencia Artificial ETSI Informática - UNED