[kdd] Webcast of the AstroStatistics workshop at the CfA

Ninan Sajeeth Philip sajeethphilip at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 14:30:49 PDT 2010

Dear Raffaele,

I would like to join Petr Skoda to express my appreciation for making the
webcast available. It is early morning here in Pune, but it was very
interesting to watch the program despite, as mentioned, the video and audio
quality was not that  good. I talked to Ashish and he assured me that the
video and pdf files will be hosted, which I hope would compensate for the
quality of the live video.

With best regards,
-Sajeeth.

On 24 August 2010 21:08, Petr Skoda <skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Raffaele D'Abrusco wrote:
>
>  Dear All,
>> sorry for the short notice, but I am happy to inform you that the webcast
>> of the mini-Workshop on Computational AstroStatistics
>> that will take place on August 24-25, 2010 at the CfA (tomorrow and the
>> day after tomorrow), will be available here:
>>

> Dear Raffaele,
>
> thank you very much for announcement of the workshop webcast - I have been
> watching it since afternoon and despite the bad quality of images and
> drop-outs of sound it is very interesting to see the recent advances in
> large scale astronomical data bussines. It was very helpful as well that you
> have just explained what it is the KDD IG and IVOA in general:
>
> According to my experience most of the experts still do not know anything
> about VO.
>
> I have some comments to wiki contents just after what was seen today:
>
> 1) could you convince speakers to put the slides from the workshop on the
> KDD IG wiki ? Especially the talk of Kirk Borne (e.g. about the CD sea and
> comparison of LSST to SDSS) could be the one of the motivation of people
> browsing through the IVOA web to be interested in KDD ....
>
> 2) in the KDD Guide I haven't seen anything about the Diffusion Maps
> algorithms - I have just heard about it for the first time (but did not see
> due to the bad image quality) - The example with SN light curves was
> interesting - could some of the experts comment about this method in the
> context of other methods mentioned in KDD Guide?
>
> As I understand it may be the good approach to takle the problem of Light
> Curve analysis in general - probably having impact on Gaia and other
> projects (Keppler, Corot) as well.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Petr Skoda

> *  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
> *  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
> *  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
> *  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
> *  Czech Republic                                                       *

Ninan Sajeeth Philip PhD      Ph:91-469-2660510 (Res)
Reader and Research Guide,       91-8149134586 (mob)
Department of Physics,           91-468-2215543 (Fax)
St. Thomas College,              91-468-2313246 (Off)
Kozhencheri-689641
Kerala, INDIA
e-mail:nspp at iucaa.ernet.in<e-mail%3Anspp at iucaa.ernet.in>

Research Interests :Artificial Intelligence, Cryptography
home page          : www.iucaa.ernet.in/~nspp

"If we knew what we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein