New resources in the Registry in the Fediverse

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Mar 5 08:58:59 CET 2024

Dear IVOA community,

older hands may remember that for a while in the 2010s, GAVO sent out
tweets about new resources in the VO registry via Twitter; we
eventually let it slip as Twitter increasingly fenced itself in,
relying on the RSS/Atom feed instead (that is still a very good
option for staying up to date:
<https://dc.g-vo.org/registryrss/q/rss/static/>).

Thanks to the demise of Twitter, interest in open and federated
microblogging has recently surged ("Mastodon", although what we are
really talking about is the Fediverse) -- which is certainly a good
thing for folks like us, working on an open and federated information
system ourselves.

We have hence recently resumed our microblogging of, well, "What's
new in the VO" on Mastodon.  Our handle is @gavo at botsin.space, and
you can look at https://botsin.space/@gavo with a web browser if you
don't have a fediverse client.

You will find a bit more on this on our blog:
<https://blog.g-vo.org/news-from-the-vo-via-activitypub.html>.

If you think this is a useful thing, please spread the word among
VO-interested astronomers.

Thanks,

            Markus