java: nom-tam-fits library users

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 21:42:42 CET 2020

Hi all,
First, sorry for this very broad email but I'm trying to figure out what's
happening with the above mentioned (excellent) java FITS library. I asked a
few people I know and it seems like this is kind of in limbo right now.

The current state is that the source is on github (org:
https://github.com/nom-tam-fits/), the original developer (Hi Tom!) is no
longer involved, and I don't know how to contact the owner of this github
org. There are issues and pull requests but no activity in several years.

First, I'd like to hear from the owner of the above org (Richard van
Nieuwenhoven) bit it doesn't look like he works in astronomy (extremely not
likely subscribed to this list) so it's a long shot but if anyone can
forward this email to him I would appreciate it.

Second, I'd like to hear from people who are or would be interested in
ongoing maintenance of nom-tam-fits. If we can get ownership of the
nom-tam-fits org assigned, that would nioce to preserve issues and such.
Otherwise, we will have to fork it... I could put a fork in
https://github.com/opencadc (probably will temporarily) but I'd prefer
something else. Maybe an ivoa- software org/community...

Pitch - we (CADC) are working on using this lib to do random access on FITS
files stored in an object store (CEPH) to support things like SODA. This
looks quite promising right now and our approach is quite back-end agnostic
so should be usable for other kinds of storage as well.

thanks in advance and sorry to spam you all :-)

--
Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre