Edu IG Session

Hendrik Heinl heinl at g-vo.org
Mon Jul 6 18:38:24 CEST 2020

Dear IVOA interop mailing list members,

Due to the ongoing situation regarding Covid19 we want to have a virtual
meeting of the IVOA Edu IG to share our experiences with remote teaching
and it's caveats, benefits and flaws. The aim is to identify best
practices of remote teaching so that we can continue with our VO
education and outreach activities.

A rough guideline of the topic would be to imagine the demands, caveats,
flaws and benefits of organising a remote workshop with hands on
sessions on VO standards and tools.

Obviously thinking about a hypothetical workshop raises the question if
we as the IVOA could offer such a workshop to the community.

Chenzhou and I suggest that the meeting will have two Sessions of of 60
to 70 minutes each, with a break of at least 4 hours in between.

The topic of the first Session shall be "Remote teaching -- best and
worst practices" and will be open to a wider public. We are interested
in experiences with remote teaching, learning, conferencing. Did you
identify good or bad software solutions for interacting with students ?
Does your institute offer e-learning solutions you like or dislike ?  --
Great! Share your experience with us.

The second Session will be for the IVOA community to see if we can
identify best practices from the first session and if we as IVOA Edu IG
can/want organise such a remote Workshop and propose this to TCG and Exec.

We set up a poll to find a date and kindly ask everybody who is
interested to participate in the poll at:
https://terminplaner4.dfn.de/LGhW1lOdDq62shwZ

On behalf of the Edu IG,
Hendrik Heinl, Vice Chair.