First feedback on the GitHub usage

Ole Streicher ole at aip.de
Mon Nov 18 09:26:07 CET 2019

Hi Laurent, all,

I think that your proposal makes it a bit too formal and complicated. In
principle, the problem is not specific to the IVOA document creation,
but happens everywhere.

The usual workflow (which I know from many repositories on Github,
including astropy, sunpy, starjava, gnudatalanguage) is:

1. When someone thinks that something is wrong with a document, but does
not have a specific proposal (patch) to change it, it should be opened
as an issue. This one can then be discussed in detail.
When then someone has a specific solution, this solution goes into a
Pull Request, mentioning the original issue with the text "Fixes: #123"
(or whatever the issue is). This will link the two together and make
sure that the original issue is closed once the PR is merged.
Then one would still discuss the problem in the original issue and the
specific solution in the pull request, linking those two together if needed.

2. When someone just has a specific proposal, opening a separate issue
is not required; one just opens the Pull Request. Then, everything is
discussed there. No need to artificially separate them. I would leave it
as a decision of the issue/PR author to decide whether they wants to
discuss the problem separately.

One important point here is: the IVOA wants to broaden the development
of standards and involve more people from the public. This has the
effect that people will contribute to the development here as they do
everywhere, and our rules shall be as close as possible to the usual way
(f.e. in astropy) -- which means: mainly no specific rules unless they
really arise from the specifics of the standards development.

For the same reason, I would also suggest to use the basic git workflow
with "master" as the main development branch, and to not the "gitflow".
The latter is just more complicated and rarely used: among the >70 git
repositories that I use for Debian packaging I almost none uses this
way. And all they are well-maintained, with astropy being the largest,
very lively and brilliant example. We should just follow astropy's
practice unless there is a really proven reason why this doesn't work
for us.

Best regards

Ole