A Proposal for a TIMESYS Element in VOTable

Tom McGlynn tom.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Wed Oct 31 20:55:26 CET 2018

It seems to me that this makes no accommodation for satellites where the
reference position is variable but not
unknown.  The definition of topocentric is according to my dictionary:
"**relating to, measured from, or as if observed from a particular point
on the earth's surface *: *having or relating to such a point as origin"
so TOPOCENTER is fine for earth based observations (though there are
balloons that move quite a bit during an observation campaign) but it
would be a stretch to use it for satellites.  I wouldn't want to say
UNKNOWN though.    Maybe SATELLITE or VARIABLE? Lots of HEASARC data
have times that are measured at the satellite -- and that includes lots
of the GRB detecting satellites for which this kind of feature would be
very nice.

     Tom McG.