Provenance RFC

Laurent MICHEL laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Oct 22 15:00:14 CEST 2018

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the starting of the Provenance DM period.

RFC page: http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/ProvenanceRFC
Draft   : http://www.ivoa.net/documents/ProvenanceDM/index.html

Basically:

"This document describes how provenance information can be modeled,
stored and exchanged within the astronomical community in a standardized
way. We follow the definition of provenance as proposed by the W3C i.e.
that “provenance is information about entities, activities, and people
involved in producing a piece of data or thing, which can be used to
form assessments about its quality, reliability or trustworthiness.”
Such provenance information in astronomy is important to enable any
scientist to trace back the origin of a dataset (e.g. an image,
spectrum, catalog or single points in a spectral energy distribution
diagram or a light curve), a document (e.g. an article, a technical
note) or a device (e.g. a camera, a telescope), learn about the people
and organizations involved in a project and assess the quality as well
as the usefulness of the dataset, document or device for her own
scientific work."

Any contribution to the discussion is welcome.

Regards
MCD LM

--
---- Laurent MICHEL              Tel  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 37
      Observatoire de Strasbourg  Fax  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 32
      11 Rue de l'Universite      Mail laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
      67000 Strasbourg (France)   Web  http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~michel
---