Chapter about VOs in BigSkyEarth book

Rob Seaman seaman at lpl.arizona.edu
Thu Mar 8 14:39:48 CET 2018

Astronomical curiosity predates Homo sapiens. And as an organized study
it predates the historical record (seasons, eclipses, motion of the
planets, transient phenomena like meteors and bolides, comets, Thuban as
the pole star, etc). VO-like facilities are obviously one aspect of the
future of the field...whether or not modern big science trends result in
funding the corresponding bricks-and-mortar institutions. Ignore the
debacles of our various nations' science priorities, IVOA is an activity
of Comm B2 of the IAU.

Rob