Data Citation and DOI Splinter Session at AAS

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Sat Jan 6 20:51:39 CET 2018

This is just a reminder that we will have the splinter session:
*Use of DataCite DOIs for Citing Astronomical Data*
at the AAS next week on Thursday 11 January 14:00-15:30 in Chesapeake H
The description is appended below.

As several entities are exploring or implementing the use of
DataCite DOIs as persistent identifiers for citing datasets,
the intent is to provide and share experiences, information,
and ideas, and to see whether we can assemble a body of
best practices and recommendations.
The gathering is set up as a free-flowing conversation after
a brief introduction of the subject.
Anyone who would like to make a (brief) presentation, please
contact me.

Hope to see you on Thursday,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/

*Event Title:*Use of DataCite DOIs for Citing Astronomical Data
*Event Notes:* Several observatories and astronomical data repositories are
preparing to start using DataCite DOIs as persistent identifiers for citing
datasets in the literature. Among the issues that need to be addressed are:
how can we identify individual datasets while also providing convenient
landing pages from the literature; what is a sensible set of metadata,
based on DataCite's rich schema, that ensures optimum discoverability, also
outside traditional astronomical portals; how can we ensure deserved credit
for individual researchers; do we want to tackle the issue of trailing
fragments to allow drilling into the datasets? So far, we have had a Bird
of a Feather session at ADASS on the subject and some of the issues have
been discussed in the IVOA context. This splinter meeting's objective is to
continue the conversation among the AAS community.
*Event Type:* Splinter Meeting
*Organizer:* Arnold H Rots

*Location:* Chesapeake H (Gaylord at National Harbor)