IVOA Mailing Lists downtime

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Aug 27 16:30:07 PDT 2014

Sarah/Marco/Guilia,

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014, Sarah Emery Bunn wrote:

> The IVOA mailing lists will be down for maintenance on Tuesday September 2
> starting in the morning Pacific/Los Angeles time.
>
> The mailing lists are being moved to its new home in Italy at this time,
> and will likely be inaccessible for 2 days.

One comment/query/request: I seem to recall that last time the mailing
lists relocated, the URLs for pointing to messages in the mailing
list archives changed (I think because different mailing list software
was used in its new home).  This is bad, since it is often useful to
refer to archived messages in a somewhat persistent way (e.g. in
wiki pages or new email messages which may themselves be archived),
and various URLs pointing to old messages broke following that
relocation.

So: it would be really nice if URLs like

   http://www.ivoa.net/pipermail/apps/2014-May/000964.html

still work following the coming move (It doesn't matter for this purpose
if messages sent after the move have archive URLs of a different form).

Thanks for consideration (and also for the work in transfering and
relocating the pages).

Mark