'New Technologies' in Madrid

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 09:52:37 PDT 2014

Greetings, all.

Following on from the successful 'new technologies' session in Heidelberg in 2013 <http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpMay2013NewTech>, we're having another one in Madrid.

http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpMay2014NewTechnologies

This session will be about techniques or technologies which should be in the IVOA's future, or which may provide alternative solutions to IVOA problems, but which aren't yet at a standardisable stage.

This might include:

   * web developments (HTTP successors?, HTML5?, compiling to Javascript?)
   * language developments (languages for natural parallelism?  what's next after Python becomes unfashionable?)
   * database developments (nosql? biiiig data?  performance?)
   * UI developments (game controllers? hands-free controllers? graphics cards?)
   * ...anything else it would be fun to talk about

We can run this as a conventional session, with a sequence of timed talks, or if there's more interest we can run it as a sequence of lightning talks, or an unconference (I'm happy to take suggestions on format, too).

This session is on Wednesday, and therefore before the conference dinner; provocative proposals would suit very naturally!

Please send me:

  * Talk proposals, if you have a technology you want to talk about, or start a conversation about.

  * Talk requests, if there's a technology you think we should know more about.  If you can suggest whose arm I should twist to give the talk, all the better.

See you in Madrid!

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk