VOUnits 20130922

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Sun Sep 22 16:06:51 PDT 2013

Greetings, all.

Following some extensive discussion on the Semantics list in August, I've made some changes to the VOUnits document, which still advertises itself as a Proposed Recommendation, in brutish defiance of all procedural norms.

The change notes for this version are:

> Responding to RFC and mailing list comments.  Release 20130922.
> Addition of quoted units and arbitrary scale-factor (so updates to
> grammars, which now match Unity v0.9).  Some reformatting of tables.

I've reworded things fairly freely, where it seemed appropriate.

I've unilaterally added 'au' as a permissible alternative to AU, because it seems perverse to prefer atto-atomic-units to astronomical units.

I've deleted the reference to 'Sun', as a way of referring to solar values, because there's been no discussion of how to actually use this, and it's not obvious what the syntax should be; it's not supported in the Unity library.

I hope this version will be acceptable generally.  Might it be formally accepted in Hawai`i?

If anyone has further comments, please raise them on the semantics list.

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk