Catalog Server Kit

M. Ohishi masatoshi.ohishi at nao.ac.jp
Tue Jan 17 03:03:09 PST 2012

Dear IVOA,

One of our young researcher has published a paper, "Development of 2MASS Catalog
Server Kit", at
http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/663234 . If you find this paper interesting,
please contact to the author (Chisato Yamauchi chisato.yamauchi at nao.ac.jp ).

With best regards,
   Masatoshi Ohishi, National Astronomical Observatory of Japan

======
ABSTRACT.
We develop a software kit called “2MASS Catalog Server Kit” to easily
construct a high-performance database server for the 2MASS Point Source Catalog
(includes 470,992,970 objects) and several all-sky catalogs. Users can perform
fast radial search and rectangular search using provided stored functions in SQL
similar to SDSS SkyServer. Our software kit utilizes open-source RDBMS, and
therefore any astronomers and developers can install our kit on their personal
computers for research, observation, etc. Out kit is tuned for optimal
coordinate search performance. We implement an effective radial search using an
orthogonal coordinate system, which does not need any techniques that depend on
HTM or HEALpix. Applying the xyz coordinate system to the database index, we can
easily implement a system of fast radial search for relatively small (less than
several million rows) catalogs. To enable high-speed search of huge catalogs on
RDBMS, we apply three additional techniques: table partitioning, composite
expression index, and optimization in stored functions. As a result, we obtain
satisfactory performance of radial search for the 2MASS catalog. Our system can
also perform fast rectangular search. It is implemented using techniques similar
to those applied for radial search. Our way of implementation enables a compact
system and will give important hints for a low-cost development of other huge
catalog databases.