URI fragments in IVOA specifications

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Apr 4 11:13:37 PDT 2012

Hi Norman,

Typo in section 1.1: "fining" -> "finding".

Since the comments pertain to VOEvent, I'm copying the WG for comment.  Most of the pertinent verbiage is in sections 2.2 and 3.1.1.  Registry support for VOEvent is a near-term priority for the WG, so perhaps we can clarify usage to your satisfaction. (Perhaps an appendix to your note pending any revised text in a (much) later VOEvent v2.1.)

Since you emphasize the limited shelf life of URIs (which might have seemed to be the whole point of URIs), perhaps we should consider some other kind of permanent identifiers for VOEvent notifications.  In a strange fashion a report of a transient phenomenon has a permanency that many other archival holdings may not.  Tycho's Stella Nova has the stature of an historical document, as to a lesser degree do GCN, ATel, CBAT and MPC notices.  The refereed literature already cites IVORNs.  If there is an issue we should address it.

Rob