IVOA Liaison Group with the Open Grid Forum

Nicholas A Walton naw at ast.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 17 06:55:27 PDT 2011

Dear All,

I was the last co-chair of the Astronomy Applications RG at the GGF/OGF
where a number of useful interactions were developed - see e.g. a
workshop we organised at OGF20
(http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/GgfIvoaMay07WorkShop -
and http://www.ogf.org/gf/event_schedule/?id=774)

However, activity did tail off as OGF moved to concentrate on its core
standards activities - and the reorganisation into the current split of
Standards and Community. Thus, OGF moved away from the idea of domain
specific research groups.

 From the IVOA side - there was I think a lack of technical effort to
devote to the general area of distributed computing - hence the demise
of the specific Interest Group of the IVOA in this area.

That may be changing now as it is politically and technically of
interest for some in the Astronomy domain to re-engage with the OGF.

Thus, I would of course still be interested to be involved in the
proposed IVOA Liaison Group.

Yours, Nic Walton

Daniel S. Katz wrote, on 17/10/2011 14:33:
> For what it's worth, I'm the Area Co-Director for Applications at OGF,
> and while applications isn't really applications, but rather
> interfaces to grids/clouds that applications can use, I would still be
> happy to help out as needed here.
>
> Dan
>

> On Oct 17, 2011, at 4:48 AM, Fabio Pasian wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>> at the Napoli Exec meeting, I was given the task to start an
>> IVOA Liaison Group with the Open Grid Forum (OGF). The activity of
>> this group (OGF LG) is to liaise with the OGF with the aim of
>> promoting discussion and analysis of topics connected to the use of
>> Grid and Cloud technologies in support of astronomical data and data
>> processing environments: the main goal is to
>> achieve cross-fertilization between communities. The OGF LGwill
>> report regularly on its activities at the GWS sessions during IVOA
>> Interoperability Meetings.
>> The idea is to re-start the activities of the Astro-RG IG, disbanded
>> two years ago, and update the terms of reference, while being aware
>> that this will not be an Interest Group (i.e. having the task of
>> defining new requirements for the IVOA standards), but a group
>> following technical evolution of grids and clouds. Any possible
>> technical impact on IVOA standards shall be brought up within the GWS
>> WG.
>> I'm currently in the process of drafting the Terms of Reference for
>> the OGF LG. Please let me know your possible interest in the topic,
>> and I'll put you on an interim mailing list and send you the draft
>> ToR. For those in Pune, please get in touch with me: we could
>> organise a splinter meeting to discuss the ToR on Thursday afternoon
>> (session 16, 16:00-17:30).
>> Fabio
>> ---
>> Fabio Pasian - Head, INAF Information Systems Unit
>> INAF - Osservatorio Astronomico di Trieste
>> Via G.B.Tiepolo 11 - I 34143 Trieste - ITALY
>> phone: +39 040 3199180 - fax: +39 040 309418
>> skype: fabio.pasian
>> e-mail: pasian at oats.inaf.it <mailto:pasian at oats.inaf.it>
>> <http://wwwas.oats.inaf.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=99>
>> ---
>
> --
> Daniel S. Katz
> University of Chicago
> (773) 834-7186 (voice)
> (773) 834-6818 (fax)
> d.katz at ieee.org <mailto:d.katz at ieee.org> or dsk at ci.uchicago.edu
> <mailto:dsk at ci.uchicago.edu>
> http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/~dsk/ <http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/%7Edsk/>

Dr Nicholas A. Walton
Institute of Astronomy          Tel:   +44 1223 337503
University of Cambridge         Fax:   +44 1223 337523
Madingley Road                  WWW:   http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~naw
Cambridge, CB3 0HA              email: naw at ast.cam.ac.uk

Cambridge, CB3 0HA              email: naw at ast.cam.ac.uk