Japan Today

M. Ohishi masatoshi.ohishi at nao.ac.jp
Fri Mar 18 01:58:01 PDT 2011

Dear IVOA Members,

I would like to report updated situation in the Tokyo area. I am not sure how
the mass media report in other countries than Japan, but my report is based on
what I observed.

1. Radioactivity
 The Japanese government has published, a few times a day, measured data on the
radioactivity in many places in Japan, which can be accessed from
 http://eq.wide.ad.jp/index_en.html
 The measured radio activity levels in central Tokyo (Shinjuku), on March 17th,
are between 0.050 and 0.052 micro Sv/h which are within its nominal value of 0.
028 - 0.079 micro Sv/h. In other words, there is NO danger on the radioactivity
level.

 Further the troubled nuclear power plant is located in a distance of more than
200 km from Tokyo. Therefore I don't foresee any problems to stay and live in
the Tokyo area.

 It is a pity that some goverments recommend to evacuate from Japan.

2. Life in Tokyo
 Because the quake was so strong (magnitude 9.0), there remains many
restrictions on our daily life. For example, the electricity supply has bee
short, and we are requested to save power. In some areas, the power supply is
suspended for about three hours a day. It is fortunate that my home has not lost
the power supply at all. And fuel supply is short. Therefore it is better to use
public transportation systems, such as trains and buses.

 Communication systems (phone, internet) are OK.

 There is sufficient food in Tokyo, as usual. But some people buy so many toilet
rolls for unknown purposes. They may plan to open a special shop to sell toilet
rolls.

3. Aftershocks
 There are many aftershocks. Even last night there were smaller quakes with
magnitude of 5 or 6.  Now we are used to such "small" ones, rather I feel like
living on a hammock.

That's all for today.

Regards,
  Masatoshi