Announcement about Workflow future plans

Andre Schaaff andre.schaaff at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Jul 1 06:30:50 PDT 2011

Dear all,

As you know we will soon be facing a new generation of facilities and
archives dealing with huge amounts of data (ALMA, LSST, panSTARRS,
LOFAR, SKA pathfinders,..) where scientific Workflows will play an
important role in the working methodology of astronomers.  A detailed
analysis about the state of the art of workflows in the frame of the VO
involves languages, design tools, execution engines, use cases, etc. A
major topic is also the preservation of the workflows and the capability
to replay a workflow several years after its design and implementation.
Several talks concerning these issues have been presented during the
past IVOA Interop meetings (see references below).

In order to undertake this task within our community we think that as a
first step a Note should be written. Participation is welcome, in
particular, we would like to collect experiences (including use cases,
tools, etc.), references, remarks, etc. We plan the Note to be published
around September and discussed at the Pune Interop meeting. We should
then decide on starting a working draft describing those aspects and
possibly in a new Interest Group on Workflows.

Best regards,

André Schaaff and Jose Enrique Ruiz

References (not exhaustive)

Some presentations in the VO