Feedbacks about AVM tags in Aladin

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Thu Nov 27 12:23:54 PST 2008

On Tuesday 25 November 2008, Frederic V. Hessman wrote:
> There is now an alternative to XMP and hence a way to avoid the
> dependence on Adobe - indeed maintaining compatibility with the rest
>   of the IVOA and the semantic web: SKOS, expected to become the
> official W3C recommendation for these kinds of things next month.
>  See the proposed IVOA recommendation "Vocabularies in the Virtual
> Observatory (version 1.16,
> http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/Vocabularies.html) which even
> includes a SKOS version of the AVM vocabulary, expressed both in
> Turtle and RDF/XML, and which will need only minor adjustments when
> the final SKOS namespace is set by the W3C.

I would just like to chime in a bit from the side here: If I remember
correctly, XMP is also RDF/XML, but a very archaic form of an old
RDF/XML spec, whereas SKOS is a state-of-the-art application of
Semantic Web technologies. Thus, it doesn't need to be a high degree of
conflict between using SKOS and XMP, but I think that one will find
that XMP is inflexible in a relatively short term, and while SKOS isn't
widely deployed yet (I have application based on it though), it is
reason to think that it will see wider adoption than XMP in the longer
term.

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer
kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Homepage: http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/     OpenPGP KeyID: 6A6A0BBC