citing IVOA standards

Igor Chilingarian Igor.Chilingarian at obspm.fr
Mon Jun 16 14:38:53 PDT 2008

Hi Norman and Alberto,

Thanks to all who answered, including Bob and Francoise who wrote me directly.
I'll try to be clear in this mail.

I understand the difficulties assigning bibcodes to different versions of the
documents in the process of standardisation, WD and PR in particular. However,
let's start with 2 simple cases, which are easy (I believe) to handle.

1) IVOA Recommendation. This is *a kind of* a final version of a document, or
at least, let's say, a major milestone. This has all the attributes of a
``normal publication'': authors, editors, title, date. Plus: version, URL.
Moreover, I would say that IVOA Recommendation has to be considered as a
refereed source, since it passes through RFC period and TCG which is much more
tough than a "standard" referee report for a research paper.

2) IVOA Note. This is a contrary example. For IVOA note there is no need to
track the version number, since IVOA notes are not working drafts so in
principle they shouldn't "evolve". Therefore, it should be easy to assign a
bibcode as well. Of course, this is not a refereed publicaion.

I like Norman's idea of using a version number in the bibcode, however there
may be some drawbacks connected to the possible hierarchical nature of version
numbers, i.e. 0.9.3b or something like this.

Why I decided to raise again this issue: the reason is simple (and stupid) --
I don't want to lose my citations / publications, neither wish my colleagues
do so. And I do think that being a co-author of a IVOA standard is much more
than to write yet-another-{A&A|MNRAS|ApJ|etc.}-paper and it requires much more
efforts and much more resposibility.

"C'est la vie" -- when you apply for a job in astronomy, referees/committees
are checking your publication list and citations. And they do it using ADS.
ALWAYS ADS and ONLY ADS.

With best regards,
 						Igor