next generation of Sky in Google Earth

Carol Christian carolc at stsci.edu
Thu Jan 17 08:24:11 PST 2008

Greeting

It is true that the imagery in Sky (and I assume the WWT) should or
is all available through the VO. For example the
first place we put the HST press releases is the VO not Sky or WWT.

Our (gSky at stsci) idea is to use VO and archives as data SOURCES and
Sky and WWT as interfaces to data, information and services.

Carol

On Jan 17, 2008, at 9:14 AM, John Taylor wrote:

> Hi Pierre,
> I can give you a quick partial answer and get back to you with a
> fuller answer when I've checked with the Sky team.  Firstly, you
> already have VO access to the base imagery!  It's just DSS imagery
> with SDSS blended in where we have it, and some Hubble on top of
> that.  But you probably knew that.  The next way you can get access
> to it for your own use is through the Google Maps API - it takes
> about 4 lines of javascript to put the maps on your own website.
> As for using this in Aladin, maybe someone could make use of it via
> Java 6's ability to run javascript?  I'm just speculating here...I
> don't know if it can be done.
> I'll get back to you with a fuller answer later Pierre,
>
> John
>

> On Jan 17, 2008 3:17 AM, Pierre Fernique <fernique at simbad.u-
> strasbg.fr > wrote:
>
> Dear VO members,
>
> I would like to bring the discussion to another point related to
> the VO
> and Google Sky/WWT.
>
> I would like to ask to Google sky team and Microsoft WWT team if it is
> possible to create my own client accessing their image data base. For
> instance, if I want to add a dedicated Aladin layer displaying the HTM
> sky background images from Microsoft data base, or the sector base sky
> background images from Google, could I ? 1) Is there open standards
> for
> that and I can develop my own client ? 2) Could I have to plug a
> kind of
> proprietary libraries in Aladin ? 3) Or perhaps it is not possible at
> all (technically ? strategically ? no documented ?) Obviously, the
> first
> solution will be the best for my VO point of view.
>
> I really appreciate to offer to Aladin users these astronomical data.
> Exactly in a symetric way that WWT and Google Sky use Simbad opened
> standards (object resolver, ...), or VizieR catalog access, and
> other VO
> access..
>
> Pierre Fernique

Dr. Carol Christian
Deputy, Community Missions Office
& Education Director, NVO
Space Telescope Science Institute
contact | Tel: 410-338-4764 | .mac: cac01