next generation of Sky in Google Earth

George Djorgovski george at astro.caltech.edu
Mon Jan 14 08:24:01 PST 2008

Folks, if I may offer an opinion:

I think that the focus in this discussion (and the corresponding
misplaced.  It reminds me of the people way back asking "isn't VO
just like NED?".

The VO is about much, much more than the kind of functionalities
offered by the GS and WWT, even if they do manage to find some
serious professional uses.  For sure, they will be fantastic EPO
mechanisms.  VO is an environment for -science- first of all, and
there is a vast amount of research for which the GS/WWT visualization
capabilities are simply irrelevant.  We'll try to use them for
science, but this one little colorful hammer does not fit all the
nails, screws, bolts, wheels, ratchets,....

Generally, I find that any attempt to summarize concisely the concept
of a rich research environment like VO in a single techno buzzword,
like "VO is all about
[middleware,services,grid,...buzzwordofyourchoice....]" falls flat
and tends to be demonstrably false.  A cogent, multi-sentence
response reflecting a broad range of the (actual and intended) VO
capabilities would be much better.

Cheers, George