next generation of Sky in Google Earth

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Jan 14 07:13:52 PST 2008

> Might be good to get a position paper out on how the VO works with Google
> Sky
Tony

(1) I believe it would be correct for IVOA to generally refer to the two
"wizzo-astro-viz" systems together rather than picking one alone. IVOA
supports both teams! We have:
-- Microsoft World Wide Telescope
-- Sky in Google Earth.

(2) My position is that VO protocols are like "the HTML of astronomy",
i.e. the universal middleware language that allows many data providers
and many browsers. Thus GSky and WWT are fabulous VO clients -- they
don't make VO irrelevant, but rather make it shine to its full potential!

Roy

--

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670