KML special session at IVOA Trieste

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 17 05:55:45 PDT 2008

This is a repeat of a message from March 31.
Apparently some people did not get it.
Roy

--

There will be a special session on KML at the IVOA Interop meeting, 90
minutes and chaired by me, and I am soliciting input and suggestions,

KML is the language used for adding content to Google Sky -- although
most applications are rather for Google Earth. The language has been
controlled by Google for a long time, but is now controlled by the Open
Geospatial Consortium (*), who have recently released KML version 2.2.

The IVOA Exec has decided that astronomers as well as geographers have
an interest in KML, and our session at the Interop will be a discussion
of what that interest is, as well as some demonstrations and
presentations of what astronomers have done with KML and Google Sky.

THEREFORE, please contact me if you would like to play a part in this
discussion, if:

-- You are technically familiar with KML and would like to be part of the discussion.
-- You think KML needs to be improved for astronomy and you have specific suggestions.
-- You have built a Google Sky mashup, and you would like 15 minutes to show it to the KML discussion.
-- You know how to use Google Sky for professional research astronomy.
-- You have strong opinions on KML.

Please indicate if you will also be in Trieste ...
Thank you
Roy

(*) KML at OGC
http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/kml2.2swg