UCD to Semantics

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Wed Jun 21 14:52:34 PDT 2006

> Does this imply that those of us who are doing W3C Semantics
> should get off of the semantics majordomo list?  It is quite
> distinctly different from UCD.  Sorry, but I was not at the
> Victoria meeting so I don't know what was discussed about this.

The decision was made before Victoria via the Exec mailing list and ratified
at the exec meeting there.

I argued on the list against this change as I considered the field of
Semantics required an *interest* group rather than a workgroup (along with
other reasons). However, the majority decided that UCDs were a sub-field of
Semantics and so the UCD workgroup was renamed the Semantics workgroup with
UCDs being only one part of its domain (and the Semantics interest group
killed off).

So those of us interested in Semantics should use the new group as its venue
for discussions and try to make it work.

So stick with it, Ed.

Cheers,
Tony.