*** Do not ignore Bob's poll

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Sat Jan 28 10:38:01 PST 2006

Please do not ignore the message from Bob Hanisch.  Please respond to
him saying that you want the list behavior to be changed so that
ordinary human beings (like you!) will not be embarrassed.

Currently the lists are set up so that when you reply to the person who
sent the message, YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE GOES TO 100 PEOPLE!

The problem is that the "From" field and the "Reply-To" field are
different. The normal behavior is to assume that when you Reply it goes
to the person who sent the message. WRONG. It goes to the whole list!

We all know to be careful sending messages to a lot of people. Bob and
Francoise have all been embarrassed this way, and we are simply trying
to put in an additional safeguard, to make it a little more unlikely
for a private message to be sent to 100 people.

Of course, if you really want to send to the group, you simply click
REPLY-ALL instead of REPLY.

So, do not think that this is something you can ignore and it'll all
work out sensibly - if you do not repond then the list behaviour will
continue to be a big RISK OF PERSONAL EMBARRASSMENT for all of us in
the IVOA.

Thank you for your vote
Roy

California Institute of Technology