Confused ... Re: Workflow

Maria A. Nieto-Santisteban nieto at skysrv.pha.jhu.edu
Wed Jan 19 14:34:11 PST 2005

hmm ...

Are we talking about how to describe workflows

or

how to track and submit jobs?

Because, although related, I don't thin both things are the same.

Maria

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Roy Williams wrote:

> I think there are two sorts of standard that we should be thinking about:
>
> (1) How workflow components interact with their service container, and
> (2) How a client interacts with an asynchronous service.
>
> In more detail
>
> (1) I recall the situation with message-passing and parallel computers about 15 years
> ago: each vendor had their own API to their specific messaging system, and
> consequently the development of parallel computing was held back, because nobody want
> to invest the time making code that might become obsolete. The development of the
> standard MPI really made parallel computing fly because every code would run on every
> machine. I think we are now in a similar situation with workflow systems. Each
> workflow vendor has their own API for how the component interatcs with the framework:
> Kepler, Chimera/Pegasus, Astrogrid/CEA, Globus4, DAGMan, Viper, Opticon/ESO, WSRF,
> etc etc. Personally, I would find it very difficult to devote serious effort to
> building components without knowing which will survive. Of course, the real problem
> may be that I simply lack enough understanding of the subtleties to see that these
> are all completely different animals -- in that case I would like my ignorance
> banished.
>
> (2) When I interact with the batch queue on my cluster, I use the Unix commands qsub,
> qstat, qdel to submit, monitor, and kill jobs. I would like an analogous, standard,
> way to use an asynchronous web service, so that a single client code can interact
> with different services. I guess the conversation includes getting a sessionID,
> specifying parameters and inputs, starting up the job, then either the server
> notifies the client, or the client montors the service, and finally there is fetching
> a result. I would guess this is all in the WS-Something specification. And I seem to
> recall Guy Rixon posting something like this a year or so ago.
>
> Roy
>
> --------
> California Institute of Technology
> roy at caltech.edu
> 626 395 3670

Maria A. Nieto-Santisteban (nieto at pha.jhu.edu)
Johns Hopkins University
3400 N. Charles St.
Physics & Astronomy Department
Baltimore, MD 21218 (USA)

Tel: 	1 410 516-7679  Fax: 	1 410 516-5096