FW: Workflow

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 11:28:27 PST 2005

 Jim's reply...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Gray [mailto:gray at microsoft.com]
Sent: 19 January 2005 18:33
To: Tony Linde
Subject: RE: Workflow

I have been saying for 35 years that we need workflow standards.
Actually, about 20 years ago I realized the folly of it -- getting people to
agree is hard if there is no incentive to agree.
What has happened is that two common workflows are sort of standardized:
  Request-reply
  Transaction
  Enqueue-Dequeue
I think WS-Orchestration is a nice start on something that many people could
agree to.
But, it really depends on what people want to do.
Pipelines have one set of needs, Condor has another, eMail has a third,
BizTalk has its goals,  and so it goes.
You are old enough to remember batch job schedulers (perhaps even JCL).
We never managed to standardize that  --- actually there were many standards
but we all ignored them.
So... I am with you .

Jim Gray
Microsoft Research,  Suite 1690, 455 Market, SF CA 94105,
tel: 415 778 8222 fax: 425 706 7329
Gray at Microsoft.com   http://research.Microsoft.com/~gray