VOMegaPlot

Ajit Kembhavi akk at iucaa.ernet.in
Fri Dec 9 23:35:37 PST 2005

Dear Friends,

We at VO-I have developed a package to plot a large number of points.  A
brief description is given below.  We would soon be releasing a beta
version,a nd would be very grateful if you try out the plotter, and let us
have your comments, since we expect that significant improvements will be
needed.

We will be releasing the source code of VOPlot before Christmas.

With kind regards,

Ajit Kembhavi

VOPlot and VOMegaPlot
_____________________

VOPlot is a tool developed for graphical representation of two and three
dimensional data. It is based on PTPlot 5.2, which is a 2D data plotter
and histogram tool implemented in Java. We have found that VOPlot works
well for plotting upto several tens of thousands of points, after which
the response can be slow. In VOPlot, when a user loads a VOTable xml file,
it is first parsed and the data so obtained is stored entirely in memory.
The in-memory data is subsequently used for plotting or performing
calculations and analysis. This approach does not work while plotting a
very large number (millions) of points, as the amount of memory required
for storing all the points goes beyond the memory allocated to the VOPlot
by JVM (Java Virtual Machine). Increasing the memory allocation is not
possible in all cases, as there are always large VOTables which require
more memory than what is available.

VOMegaPlot has been developed to address tables with very large numbers of
points in them. The approach adopted is to store the data present in a
VOTable xml file into data structures, which are serialized on the disk in
a plot-friendly format. During the actual plotting operation, only the
relevant data necessary for plotting is loaded. This significantly reduces
the memory requirements and allows plotting of large VOTables. When
VOMegaPlot is to be used with a very large catalogue, the catalogue has to
be processed to produce a series of files using a straightforward
procedure which is provided. This is to be done just once for a given
VOTable, and the plotter uses the whole set of files when it is invoked
subsequently.

VOMegaPlot presently has a a limited number of the features of VOPlot, and
we hope to expand its scope further in the future. We are making an early
release to the community so that we receive comments and suggestions from
potential users. Please send your comments to
nilesh_urunkar at persistent.co.in, with a copy to shaikh at iucaa.ernet.in.

dangerous content by OpenProtect(http://www.openprotect.com), and is
believed to be clean.