VODaX and VODMX

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Thu May 20 03:29:18 PDT 2004

In order to curtail the rancorous debates on VOTable, I've taken Roy's
suggestion and have set up an effort to develop a data model-based
alternative to VOTable. I've tentatively titled it the VODaX (Virtual
Observatory Data eXchange) format and the start page on the wiki for it is:
  http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/VODaX

Hopefully now we can get on with making VOTable do what it is designed to do
better while those who want a richer, model-based format for application to
application data transmission can commit to developing VODaX.

In order for VODaX to work, we obviously need an xml schema-based
representation of the developing Data Model. I've therefore set up another
effort (VODMX: Virtual Observatory Data Model as Xml schema) to focus effort
on developing prototypes of this. Note that this is *not* an alternative DM
effort and should not be treated as such: whatever is developed under VODMX
should be derived from the DM. Wiki page is at:
  http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/VODMX

Hope this helps to bring peace - and spares those of us from the UK from
ending up in Boston Harbour :)

Cheers,
Tony.

__
Tony Linde
Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292    Mobile: +44 (0)7753 603356
Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311    Email:  ael at star.le.ac.uk
Post:   Department of Physics & Astronomy,
        University of Leicester
        Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH

Project Manager,            Director,
AstroGrid                   Leicester e-Science Centre
http://www.astrogrid.org    http://www.e-science.le.ac.uk/