VO or VObs

Maria A. Nieto-Santisteban nieto at skysrv.pha.jhu.edu
Mon Jun 7 12:25:46 PDT 2004

In my modest opinion ....

On Mon, 7
Jun 2004, Guy Rixon wrote:

> I started using VObs instead of VO because much of what I write goes
> eventually to grid audiences. They think VO means Virtual Organization. I got
> bored with having to explain the terms.

You don't have to give any explanation, we are actually lucky since our
our Virtual Organization is called Virtual Observatory.

> Inside IVOA, I don't care whether we use VO or VObs.

Now that everything is called VOServices, VOTable, VOList, VOSpace,
VOApplications, IVOA, etc., changing the name to Vobs will bring only
unnecessary confusion.

Maria

> Vobs makes better wiki-words than VO, mind.
>
> Cheers,
> Guy
>
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Wil O'Mullane wrote:
>
> > I see the use of VO for Virtual Observatory (I use it myself) but also
> > I notice (particulalry our AstroGrid colleques) use  VObs for Virtual observatory
> >
> > Do we have one we should use in our IVOA documents ? In particular I wish to
> > do the next draft of VOSupportInterfaces but should that be VObsSupportInterfaces
> > as Guy names it ?
> >
> > wil
> >

> Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
> Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
> Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523

Maria A. Nieto-Santisteban (nieto at pha.jhu.edu)
Johns Hopkins University
3400 N. Charles St.
Physics & Astronomy Department
Baltimore, MD 21218 (USA)

Tel: 	1 410 516-7679  Fax: 	1 410 516-5096