call for review, IVOA Standards Process

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Thu Sep 11 07:38:07 PDT 2003

With this message I would like to open the formal review period for the IVOA
Document Standards Process, which is described in a Working Draft located at
www.ivoa.net/Documents/WD/.  Follow the links to "IVOA Document Standards
V0.2" and select your preferred format (Word, HTML, or PDF).  The document
itself describes the review process, but let me recap here briefly as this
is the first time we have gone through this process formally.

As chair of the IVOA Document Standards Working Group, I have called for a
number of people to review the document, including the IVOA Executive
Committee.  I am satisfied that the document is ready to move forward to the
Proposed Recommendation level, and this requires a one-month open review
period.  During this time I ask that all people involved with IVOA
activities review the document and send me comments or concerns.  If
significant deficiencies are identified, I will work with the Document
Standards Working Group to resolve them, and then put the document forward
again later.  If no problems are found, the document will become a Proposed
Recommendation, and I will then ask the IVOA Executive to once again review
it and consider it for promotion to a Recommendation.  I will collect all
comments and publicly, through this distribution list, respond to them.

The review period will close on Friday October 10 at 5pm US Eastern time.  I
hope to be able to report positively on moving the document forward to a
Proposed Recommendation at the ADASS Conference the following week.

Thanks,
Bob Hanisch