more on FITS and VO

William Pence William.D.Pence at nasa.gov
Fri Nov 28 08:37:04 PST 2003

The intent of this subtle change is wording is to allow the "image/fits"
mimetype to be legally applied to FITS files in which the Primary
array has NAXIS greater than zero, and has one or more NAXISn keywords
equal to zero, and thus contains 0 pixels,  e.g.,
  NAXIS  =   2
  NAXIS1 = 100
  NAXIS2 =   0

Take for example a web site or service that returns 2-dimensional FITS
images to the browser, with mimetype 'image/fits'.   Some people have
argued that there could be times when the web site would need to return
a zero pixel length image, e.g., the user might only want the FITS
header information (metadata) without the image itself, or a zero pixel
image might be returned if the requested image position was not available
for some reason (outside of the area covered by a survey).  For whatever
reason, some people have argued, there *might* be occasions where the
web service would need to return a zero pixel image, and in that case
it would be more convenient, and less confusing to the end user, to assign
'image/fits' to the file, just like all the other images that it returns.

These examples are perhaps a bit contrived, but the advocates for this
change in wording argue that it would be better to not forbid this
use of 'image/fits' because more compelling uses for it may arise
in the future.

Note that it was not intended that this be applied to the Random Groups FITS
files (which by convention have NAXIS1 = 0) because Random Groups
are rarely used to store a single 'image'.  It would be more
appropriate to classify most Random Groups files as 'application/fits'.

-Bill Pence