more on FITS and VO

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 1 08:30:24 PST 2003

Hi Bill -

The original posting I saw on this talked about NULL images (no pixels),
whereas you talk about degenerate axes below.  I don't have any problem
with NULL images as this has been common practice in FITS usage for
years to handle limiting cases or pass around image metadata using FITS.
Degenerate primary axes on the other hand can greatly complicate the task
of an image viewer or any other analysis program.  If we are to allow
degenerate axes for the image/fits MIME type, then we could compromise and
merely require the first two axes of the (non-null) image be nondegenerate
so that the "primary" image matrix can be accessed by simple software.
Anything else can already be handled by application/fits, which catches
any legal FITS image.  In particular, multi-extension FITS files where
the PHU is not an image are best identified as application/fits.

In short - it is not a simple image unless the first two image axes are
nondegenerate.  An actual NULL image is a special case and is not the same
as a non-NULL image with primary degenerate axes.  We could live without
NULL images (they will cause problems for some programs), but they can
be occasionally useful to handle limiting cases using only FITS syntax.

	- Doug