Remote execution (code to the data)

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Oct 24 08:00:23 CEST 2023

Hi Dave,

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 05:26:46PM +0100, Dave Morris wrote:
> job submission part. Few, if any, are looking in detail at the service
> discovery part.

That has been my impression, too; it seems much of this happens in
what I like to call MoU-land, the virtual space in which MoUs and not
discovery define what resources you use.

> If I am a member of the IVOA, I could query the registry and find 30+
> different execution platforms, with a a mixture of Reana, CWL and some
> custom execution platforms.

For the record, as soon as we have two prototype Execution Planner
interfaces, I'd love to care about the Registry side and actually me
it so an actual client can actually do that.  Just let me know.

     -- Markus

PS: Incidenally, when I read you iWD, I thought about whether IVOA
vocabularies have a place in enumerating the executable types and
such; the advantage would be that there's one place in which you can
find commonly accepted identifiers and that there's a defined
procedure for establishing what is "commonly accepted".  If you think
that might be useful, we probably should chat as well.