OpenID challenge

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Mon May 9 15:01:57 CEST 2022

> On 2022-05 -09, at 13:13, Mark Taylor <m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Service providers (e.g. ESO?) that are only willing to serve data to
> users authenticating via browser-based flows won't use these ivoa_*
> schemes at all. Those (e.g. CADC?) who are willing to accept a
> username+password acquired by a non-browser client can use these
> schemes in order to give clients enough information to supply them.

Then CADC are going to have to do something different on the server side for browsers and non-browsers and you as TOPCAT author have to support both, so from a software author’s point of view, I do not see where the win is.

I don’t have a strong objection to the proposal, but the “market forces” behind AAI mean that the prevailing way of doing things will have to be supported whatever standards the IVOA comes up with.

Cheers,
	Paul.