OpenID and SSO

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Fri May 6 01:25:34 CEST 2022

It is true that on the one hand we tell everyone "if a web site asks for
your user name and password for some other site, it's a phishing attack"
and I suppose a lot of this is based on now thinking that applications are
by definition no longer to be trusted. The part I don't like about it is
that it's the user that should make that (hopefully informed) call about
trusting topcat (or not :-)) but that's not how things work anymore. The
world of mobile "apps" has blurred the line between web sites and your own
applications so now using an application that can do authentication is a
"phishing attack". #sigh

Probably a question for Alberto: How would/will ESO enable their users to
use applications like topcat, pyvo, astropy, etc to access their services
with auth?

I can think of several simple ways:
1. user authenticates in browser and then downloads a (bearer) token the
various tools can use
2. user authenticates in browser and then downloads proxy cert the various
tools can use

These can work; maybe ESO users will be OK with that. We (CADC/CANFAR) have
a link for #2 on our site when then user is logged in and we could have one
for #1 except users wouldn't know what to do with it (chicken-vs-egg
problem w.r.t the applications)... and really they should generate and
manage separate tokens for different things... like github, google, and
everyone else does now. So industry-wise it looks like #1 is the de facto
solution for this, but I find it a pain as a user.

Anyway, the solution for ESO and ESO users is probably #1, so topcat
probably needs to be able to read tokens (like certs) from a file or
command line or cut&paste into a text box. It's really ugh but somehow a
lot of people have been convinced that typing username and password into a
browser window is inherently more secure than into a topcat window and you
can trust one (*cough*google chrome*cough*) but not the other and you don't
get to choose.

Well, you can see that this topic annoys a lot :-)

--
Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre