theory/gws workshop during upcoming interop

Giuliano Taffoni giuliano.taffoni at inaf.it
Mon May 3 21:35:08 CEST 2021

Dear GRID

We are organizing a mini-workshop on the use of Science Platforms for the dissemination of Cosmological Simulations and would like to invite you to participate.
(For the purpose of this workshop by "cosmological simulation" we mean simulations that model the contents and evolution of a subset of the 3D universe, irrespective of scale.)

The workshop will take place during the upcoming interoperability meeting, which takes place from May 25-28 and will be fully virtual.

If you are interested please register at https://indico.ict.inaf.it/event/1441/. And if you would like to present some of your previous work on this subject during a 10 minute presentation please submit an abstract at https://indico.ict.inaf.it/event/1441/abstracts/.

Workshop background
A Science Platform is an environment providing advanced functionality to analyze and process large and complex data-sets close to the data. In recent years the Grid and Web Services working group has been focusing on Science Platforms as a complementary approach to downloads that are traditionally still part of our standardization efforts. As data sets are getting ever larger and more complex, for many use cases it becomes imperative to bring analysis to the data.

In particular this is true for the results of large scale computer simulations. Standardization has proven complex for theory data and by their nature simulations results often require statistical analysis of large data sets. Over the years simulation groups have disseminated their data using a variety of approaches, but setting up a full-fledged science platform poses substantial technological challenges in terms of discovery, access, processing and possible standards.

The Workshop
In this workshop we want to  bring together scientists, experts in computational Cosmology, VO experts and SP developers to discuss current implementations and ideas for their future development. In particular we want to identify areas where a common, standardized approach might benefit the community, which the IVOA could take up in its efforts. This may include metadata standards for discovery, or standards for file formats, compute environments, or data access libraries.

This emails is directed to the IVOA mailing list, but if you know of non-member scientists who you think might be interested to join, or who you think we should be interested in in hearng from, please forward this email to them.

Best regards

The chairs and vice-chairs of the Theory interest group and the GWS working group