length of string query in Topcat TAP

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Tue Apr 6 12:42:59 CEST 2021

Dear all,

I wanted to get a guess of maximum length of spectral type string in
SIMBAD (in order to limit database collumn declaration in one our
archiving system ) by TAP query run through TOPCAT window and I failed.

On http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr:80/simbad/sim-tap

I tried the query

SELECT top 100
    sp_type as sp, LENGTH(sp_type)
    FROM basic
where sp_type is not null

but TOPCAT does not allow (red syntax ) me to type lenght, LENGTH ,
CHAR_LENGTH or anything else (e.g. SIZE) ... in ADQL is CHAR_LENGTH a
reserved word , but when enforcing the TAP submission it complains on it
(was expecting .... and long list of keywords) but then it warns

(HINT: "CHAR_LENGTH" is not supported in ADQL, but is however a reserved
word. To use it as a column/table/schema name/alias, write it between
double   quotes)

I am a little confused ... Is it a problem of TOPCAT syntax checker or a
general lack in ADQL .... in other words, the ADQL does not allow to
measure the length of a string atribute ?

Thanks for explanation

(BTW I succeeded just to load all sp_types in a table and then used the
TOPCAT internal function length(string) in a new synhetic collumn directly
on a table. But if I would not be able to download all SIMBAD sp_types to
TOPCAT I would be lost just by using ADQL ....

Best regards,

Petr
*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute CAS         Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                             skoda at asu.cas.cz          *