Resolving old errata: security methods in interfaces

Brian Major major.brian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 21:03:10 CET 2019

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for sending this out and thanks Markus for writing it up.  The
erratum looks good to me and is in line with the 'single URL' for a service
approach.  There's one point in there that I'd like to highlight for the
GWS members concerning the advertisement of an interface that allows
anonymous access.  The updated version of the comment for the
securityMethod element reads:

    "A missing securityMethod child indicates an interface usable without
authentication. In the presence of at least one securityMethod element,
services indicate the possibility of unauthenticated access using an empty
securityMethod element (i.e., one without standardID)".

So, interfaces with both anonymous and authenticated access will have a set
of securityMethod elements with one empty one.  For example:

<securityMethod />
<securityMethod standardID="ivo://ivoa.net/sso#cookie" />
<securityMethod standardID="ivo://ivoa.net/sso#tls-with-certificate" />

Regards,
Brian